Film Review: Charlie's Angels 2019


The "best" thing about the rebooted CHARLIE'S ANGELS, are the trailers, because they made it look alluring and intriguing enough to warrant a watch, but when you do - at least in my viewing experience - it was a utter sham.

The urgency seen in the trailers is quite unfortunately missing from the movie itself. One might say; "pausing to give the scenes and actors to breathe", and I say it is just shabby editing. The jokes fall flat, the characters pretty one-dimensional, the token dude appearance was hilariously "token" that leads absolutely no where.


In the attempt to be "self-aware" (I dare not evoke "woke" here), they have created a tone-deficient that would've possibly been entertaining as a "television procedural" (No offence to TV shows!), than a full-on feature film, with unremarkable location choices (or maybe its the way they were filmed), and disappointing outing with cliched story, which I suspect the elevator pitch sounded intriguing, but alas...


The action scenes were non-starters, while the "quieter" and girl-talk scenes were awkward (2012's "Pitch Perfect" is still my fav film, but not the second one that was directed by Elizabeth Banks ... don't dare even mention the third, FFS...), but perhaps this acted as a "show-reel" for the director instead?


One can also argue that I am a middle-aged man unable to relate to a "female-empowerment" film, and I am not going to argue with you on that.

It was so bad, I HAD to watch it all the way to the end-credits, to somehow justify my decision to watch this film, if only to satisfy my curiosity, and sate them damn trailer-taunts!

You might want to consider go watching the McG-directed films (from 2000 and 2003), which in their self-awareness depiction and maybe even madcap parody, certainly provided their fair share of entertainment!

BUY ON AMAZON:

Comments

Popular Posts