Film Review: The New Mutants

https://www.instagram.com/p/CHU8ACAAF3Q/ SHORT VERSION: The film wasn’t so much a turd as everyone said it was, neither was it a knock-out-of-the-park ... far be it, actually. It ended up a decent average watch at home (where I could shudder in solitary comfort of silence), versus what would have been a regret in the cinema lol

Watch "THE NEW MUTANTS" digitally here on Amazon (4K UHD). Available on Nov 17, 2020.



LONG VERSION: This movie had long been talked about taking on a much darker "horror" aspect - which quite frankly even if gone by way of "Blumhouse"-styled horror would have given it a perhaps more defined personality (whatever "uniqueness" it could have been has since been overshadowed by the myriad of negativity surrounding the show, alas) - otherwise what we got is generic teenager angst, but without the lockroom-lined hallways, that if they decided NOT to use all the "X-Men" references (no specifics mentioned beyond the "brand") and if you are unfamiliar with "X-Men Cinematic Universe" (*How many folks can link "Essex Corporation" to the main "villain"?), might well be left out in the cold, wandering about the misty snowy forest?

Directed by Josh Boone, produced by Simon Kinberg, Lauren Shuler Donner, Karen Rosenfelt, on a script and edit that played it incessantly "safe", and quite frankly unremarkable. The actors proved decent, but the script and story did them no favours. In our current collective streaming culture, a decent mini series - focusing on each character (reminding me somewhat of DC Universe's "TITANS", but "Deadly Class" worked better in my mind) - would've proven more enriching, then this oner, IMHO.

I understand what they might have wanted to do with the following scene, but it came off ultimately cringy, and quite franky bothersome.



As a (former) "comicbook-fan", I'd appreciated the nods and references, and appreciated the adaptations (Lockheed the glove puppet vs Lockheed the flying dragon = SO FUN), and of course MAGIK in her glory was such a tantalising palette teaser which you had to wait nearly an entire movie for, and it all became a little unbalanced and unsatisfactory, methinks. But was it all worth the price of admission? I am glad I caught it at home, and was able yo enjoy it for what it was ... than what I imagine would be filled with bile if I had paid for a cinema ticket (which actually would have worked out cheaper, actually LOL) :p

This was a decent watch, but it was not a "cinematic film", so watching digitally is good enough to sate your curiosity.

As I type all of these, thinking about cinematography, production design etc ... and I realised I remember next to nothing of the music, alas.

I personally had been a HUGE fan of the cinematic X-MEN, even at one point maintaining a dedicated blog for it, until continued disappointment ate into my joy, and ultimately abandoning updates, even film reviews at all (I lie, I couldn't resist Reviewing "DARK PHOENIX")! And I have since left go of my expectations for the franchise - to which not so ironically, the filmmakers for "THE NEW MUTANTS" had been vocal about it being standalone to the franchise... and with the uncomfortable inclusion and mention, it became apparent this was a forced "arranged marriage".



If y'all were expecting a BIG BANG to end 20th Century Fox's relationship / connection of "X-Men", then this was a wolf-cub's whine, even though the final arc was somewhat fun and action-packed.

This was a DELETED SCENE, to be found on the DVD/Blu-ray:



BUY FROM AMAZON:

Comments

Popular Posts