#Watched: THE WITCHER Season One on Netflix



Sword and sorcery, decapitated at the upper-limbs of glamour, F-bombs aplenty (mostly grunted from Henry Cavill's "Geralt of Rivia"), and bare breasts in woven grimey medievalish dresses, and yes, plenty of blood and gore, with a slice of carnal activity, maketh THE WITCHER an interesting watch for folks fresh off Game of Thrones, eager for the mud and blood.


All 8 episodes were released on December 20th, and I took my time watching an episode a day, except for the last two binged in a single go. Personally, my interest for the concept (no, I have not read the book) waned a bit by Ep.3, but I have a "Four Episodes Rule" (where I decide on continued watching/attention after four episodes), and this series decently passed it, as confusing as it may have been, building up layer upon layers of depth and story, caressed with fictional myth-building, and relatability in the human emotion, with the final two episodes quite literally picking up and pushing through a satisfying watch, IMHO.

And very interestingly, this is a non-"sole"-Anglo-Saxon depiction of story and people, with the focused bias directed towards "Witchers" and mutants, instead of real world race issues.


The only thing that bugged me to no end, was the jumping to-and-fro of timelines depicted in the series, where flashbacks needed to be figured out (I ain't smart that way) after watching a few moments, and reconnected when different sequences are edited into a single episode ... don't get what I am trying to say here? That's how I feel sometimes watching the series. But once you reach the final 8th episode of Season One, the story/plot/what they are trying to say is much clearer(ish), and the final zinger from Princess Cirilla was so out of place, but utterly modern-day hilarious, made me truly want to continue watching THE WITCHER! Waiting on you now, Netflix!

Watch THE WITCHER here on Netflix. Rated "R21" (in Singapore).

Comments

Popular Posts