THE MANDALORIAN Season 2 Episode One: My Impressions & SPOILER Easter Egg and Breakdown Videos
As far as I am personally concerned, there really shouldn't be a question about "is the show worth watching?", but rather "HOW MUCH WOULD THE SHOW SLAP?", and for the first episode of Season Two of THE MANDALORIAN, I felt "satisfied", and I meant that in all the positive ways of The Force!
DISCLAIMER: I use the word "lore" a whole lot more in this particular post than my thesaurus would allow, but I'm keeping to it as it best describes the core of the series, which is to revolve around the lore of Star Wars that has come before us in its various media incarnations, and (re)telling stories without the burden of inventing/creating brand new species to tell said stories. Do not abandon history for shiny new objects that have no allure beyond "curiosity", IMHO.
Having been left gobsmacked and wowed at Season One - for the sheer simplicity and clarity of story-telling and continuation of original lore - S2 E1 continues the Star Wars legacy (of New Hope + Empire Strikes Back + Return of the Jedi, and affiliated animated shows and books+graphic novels) with references GALORE - from characters to expansion of lore - and a (simpler) tale you so not need to crack you brains to digest, and I devoured this episode and feel SATISFIED and PROPERLY FED! I don't need more (*actually I do, that final cameo OMG), and neither had I been over-fed til I'm bursting... and that'll leave me wanting the NEXT episode the following week.
THE MANDALORIAN is a weekly episodic show (not like current streaming shows where they release the entire series and all episodes at a single go), with Season 2 comprising 8 episodes (like it did Season 1).
The call-backs are massive, and have been much so since Season 1 - which in this instance I heartily devour (in my mind it parallels "fan service", but in a good way lol) - I appreciate and welcome, as folks familiar with the Star Wars-lore might recognise and multitude of Easter Eggs scattered throughout, but also lightens the burden of introducing NEW characters without any excessive need to have to explain everything away.
What it does, is to expand the lore, but not necessarily hamper the enjoyment of the series, for first time viewers who are perhaps unfamiliar with Star Wars-lore (as I personally am with the novels, comics and animation :p). And with the multitude of reaction and fanmade videos (Scroll to the bottom for TONS OF SPOILER VIDEOS), it certainly will help folks' possible understanding of the depth of said-lore, IMHO.
Featured here are a few screen-snaps to spoil your viewing pleasures, including reveals of Mando on a Bike (where The Child sat shotgun) which Hot Toys will release as a 1/6th-scaled collectible ... "The Marshal" wearing Boba Fett's armor, riding a visual tie-in to Anarkin's Podracer (from The Phantom Menace), Tusken Raiders on their Bantha mounts (FK man, I shed more than a few tears to see their stories expanded more) ... and all these are a few short seconds on screen, with so much much more to be had OMG...!
If the main STAR WARS FILMS serve to showcase the principal characters, then The Mandalorian focuses on the other characters in the universe, and we are richer for it.
No worries though, this is not just a nostalgia-ride, as we are treated to a decent serving (so far in Ep.1/Chapter 9) of what would be a "cowboy"-styled tale, with morals to be had, and characters to develop, as the story goes along, IMHO. And wuite frankly, I adore and embrace the "low-key" tone the series (since Season 1) has been taking, and not trying to be the BE-ALL-END-ALL-EPICS the recent movies have been Sold To Be. Different levels of EPIC, and The Mandalorian is a very decent offering with lesser stakes in expectations... but this certainly is being hyped up, beyond "Baby Yoda", and you know what? It deserves the hype, and if this is any indication, this season is going to be one hella ride!
PREMISE: "Set five years after the events of Return of the Jedi (1983) and the fall of the Empire, The Mandalorian follows a lone bounty hunter in the outer reaches of the galaxy. He is hired to retrieve "The Child", and chooses to go on the run to protect the infant. While on their quest to learn more about the child's origins, they are pursued by Moff Gideon." (Wiki)
And while I may naively not reveal too much SPOILERS than the images seen and worded above, the following folks do not think otherwise...! I have watched all that I have posted, and they are the "desserts" to the scrumptious meal that was "Episode One" = ENJOY!















Comments
Post a Comment