About TOP KDRAMAS I HAD WATCHED IN 2020


I have since completed my countdown of the TOP KDRAMAS I HAD WATCHED IN 2020 (#15-#11 / #10-#6 / #5-#1) featuring a total of 15 TV SHOWS, with this annual list started from 2019, primarily an opportunity for myself to share what I had enjoyed (and not enjoyed) watching specifically for Korean Dramas, but as well a situation where my main watches ARE KDRAMAS, compared to western media, and has been veered such for the past couple of years too. And even so, I am currently having a harder time trying to sort out a TOP TEN TV SHOWS WATCH FOR 2020 featuring said Western-media, compared to the previous years.



If I put on my "over-thinking-cap", it may well be my internal defense-mechanism erected to protect myself from the harshness of a COVID-enslaved world which has conditioned me to be overly sensitive to the brutalness of Western media when in previous years I would've adored them - specifically genre shows such as UMBRELLA ACADEMY, HIS DARK MATERIALS, and a little but more which I (might or might not) talk about in yet another TOP TEN-list... :p



There is less air-punching-with-clenched-fists, than tearing-up at faux-sentimentality ... where "regrets of the past" outshine "the eternal romance". Trying hard to embrace WHAT I ASPIRE TO, versus WHAT I DO NOT WANT IN MY LIFE, had become a tussle between my Reel Life and Real Life, secluded unto my own cyber-island(s) that which are my blogs LOL



DISHONORABLE MENTIONS: As much as I had consumed in 2020, so too were shows which I had abandoned. I have a "(Personal) Tolerance Limit" of "4 Episodes" - whereby any media I start with, I'd decide if I want to invest my time and continue forth after the 4th Episode mark (I don't know why, but mostly that's when story, tone, plots shifts, IMHO) .... BUT, two shows were credited to have irked me so much, I stopped watching after the first episode ... This year's honour went to "RUGAL" and "ZOMBIE DETECTIVE" - both genre which I particularly enjoyed watching, to which I realized featured the same actor for both series: Choi Jin-Hyuk - but I also have to say it is not him particularly, but the way the story and tone that I disagreed with :p. I certainly hope to SEE more than I hear his voice in MR QUEENtho...!

MISSED WATCHES OF 2020: Shows I had featured on POPCORNX but failed to watch them within 2020 include SWEET HOME and THE SCHOOL NURSE FILES ... Would they have entered this list? No worries, I'll eventually get to them ... :)

OTHER WATCHES OF 2020: Notable in 2020 were rewatches of Kdrama series actually, in lieu of investing time and energy to consume NEW series, I re-indulged in past series such as SHE WAS PRETTY (2015), THE PRODUCERS (2015), and even HOT STOVE LEAGUE - in the midst of preparing / authoring TOP KDRAMAS I HAD WATCHED IN 2020, until said-viewing helped the show go UP on said-list! LOL

I couldn't continue with RECORD OF YOUTH not because I disliked it, but because I was not in the right frame of mind to enjoy it, and as well there had been a few watches that quite literally crossed the 2020/2021 airing/broadcast mark - and some of whom are still on-going, like DELAYED JUSTICE, MR QUEEN = which I suppose I will keep for the "TOP KDRAMAS I HAD WATCHED IN 2021"-list LOL

And a reminder to myself, to go on less about "what I have missed", and spend effort on showcasing "what I enjoyed watching" instead...?

DISCLAIMER: I felt I really needed to add a "DISCLAIMER" to my choices, specifically that ALL programs watched were in their original (South) Korean language, but with English subtitles. There is a very small sub-category of shows I'd (randomly) watched on cable TV, with my mum, that had been dubbed in Mandarin, which I will not include in my lists. Even though I have next to ZERO knowledge nor understanding of the South Korean language, I'd rather much listen to the actor's original voices, to even be able to sense the sincerity of their portrayal, versus a "spoken story"... but that's just me :)

Cheers,
Andy TOYSREVIL

Comments

Popular Posts