R.I.P. H.R. Giger (1940-2014)

"Swiss artist H.R. Giger, made famous for his work designing the iconic creatures in the Aliens series, has passed away at the age of 74. TV station SRF and SWI report that he died as a result of "injuries sustained in a fall"." -reported Kotaku.
As with many others, I came to know of Giger's work from the classic sci-fi feature film "ALIEN", whereby I remember it was one of those very few films (of that time) which made me search for the designer - most specifically of the creature itself - ironically not via the use of the internets, but via magazines and publications.

And while I can say I am a "fan of his work", I never did stay in touch with his going-ons, except to mourn his passing now. And while the man's work extends beyond film, my memory of him is directly linked to the silver screen, and in awe I remain, and I suspect I will continue to be so, long after …


Posted above is a 50-minute documentary "H R Giger Revealed" made by Journeyman Pictures (in Swiss language with English subtitles), circa 2010. And shown insert above-right, is the only full publication of Giger's work I ever own. R.I.P. H.R. Giger (1940-2014).

Popular Posts