Reunited with Brotherhood Of The Wolf

A photo posted by TOYSREVIL (@toysrevil) on


I actually have a (KIV) article all typed out but unedited, declaring my filmlove for this movie, along with a multiple of reasons why viewing this had been one of the very few reasons which help changed my perception of "french" films all so many years ago … suffice to say, this MTV (that's "music television video channel" in the heydays of music videos and not the beleaguered "reality channel" of today ;p) styled cinematic entertainment was the epitome of "COOL"

SYNOPSIS: "In 18th century France, the Chevalier de Fronsac and his native American friend Mani are sent by the King to the Gevaudan province to investigate the killings of hundreds by a mysterious beast." (IMDb)

WHAT-IS: "Brotherhood of the Wolf (French: Le Pacte des loups) is a 2001 French historical horror-action film directed by Christophe Gans, written by Gans and Stéphane Cabel, starring Samuel Le Bihan, Mark Dacascos, Emilie Dequenne, Monica Bellucci, and Vincent Cassel.

The film is loosely based on a real-life series of killings that took place in France in the 18th century and the famous legend around the Beast of Gévaudan; Parts of the film were shot at Château de Roquetaillade. The film has several extended swashbuckling fight scenes, with martial arts performances by the cast mixed in, making it unusual for a historical drama."
(Wiki(/a>)



I had recognized actor "Mark Dacascos" (as "Mani") from an earlier fav manga-to-film adaptation, "Crying Freeman" (also directed by Christophe Gans), and loved him in this! And I know my appreciation for the film and characters; is when I dearly wanted 1/6th-scaled action figures versions of them! One day perhaps I will still attempt to kitbash the pair … as well I recognize actor "Vincent Cassel" from my other fav French film, "La Haine" ("Hate"). In my humbler recollections, I have not seen any movie like this since :)

I first watched this film at a local film festival, and subsequently purchased a DVD box set, for which I only realized until I opened it at home ready for a rematch, that it did not come with English subtitles! Too happy to have found it online and purchased it before reading the fine print, alas LOL

It was only until yesterday, when I saw this at a sale, that I forgo my cliched "stingy Chinese man" mentality, and purchased a "double" … but not before I checked for Eng Subs tho! HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Comments

Popular Posts