TOP KDRAMAS on POPCORNX for 2021 (#20-#11)
With the completion of POPCORNX's TOP TEN #KDRAMAS OF 2021 (#10-#6 & #5-#1), I'd thought to round up the rest of my KDRAMA watches in 2021 for a TOP TWENTY KDRAMAs of 2021 - specifically counting down #20-#11!
And while I gild the golden lily for my "Top Ten", I've realized I've become a a whiney-bloke when it came to the subsequent watched listed here... and I am fine with that LOL
TOP KDRAMA FOR 2021 ON POPCORNX #20:
AWAKEN (낮과 밤) (Watch on VIU.com / Rated "PG")
I had been so keen to watch this series, which starred one of my fave actors Namkoong Min as a lollipop-sucking detective with super telekinetic powers (induced by chemical treatments since young), and the plot degraded into cliches. Look, I love me my cliches, okay? But this turned out to be a low-stakes game - which to me is something that was needed to balance out said-cliches, but that's just me. And yes, that lollipop had a reason for being.
The addition of Kim Seol-hyun (of South Korean girl group "AOA") peeked my interest (I will not lie), but seeing them trying to down-dress her in over-sized baggy men clothes to obviously hide her beauty, which rather irked me too early too soon. Even with the barest of make-up, she is ravishing. They tried this tact with Lee Da-Hee in "L.U.C.A.: The Beginning", but no dice. The only KDRAMA I've seen succeed thus far is IU in "My Mister" - where even in the script and dialog, they don't even pretend otherwise, and some remarked her as "pretty".
The best thing that came out of this KDRAMA? I now follow Lee Chung-ah (who played "Jamie Leighton") on Instagram.
CLICKABLES on POPCORNX:
- Trailers & Teasers
- Reviewed Episode 1-6 (*Minor Spoilers Ahead)
- Reviewed Episode 7-16 (Spoilers Ahead)
TOP KDRAMA FOR 2021 ON POPCORNX #19:
CHIMERA (키마이라) (Watch on VIU.com / Rated "NC16" / "Restricted Content")
Look, I don't what to be THAT GUY that shits on the "CG-effects" of a project, and overlook the other aspects of the story... but here I am anyways.
What would have been an interesting co-existence of differing characters solving a mystery together, veered somewhere off the highway and turned into a one-man vendetta (of maybe it was in the first place, and I was just hopeful otherwise) and buddy fist bump while a crucial person of the found team disappeared into a voice-over narration. Something somewhere happened during a re-scripting, and it showed. Had me decently gripped(ish) for 16 episodes tho...!
Main reasons for starting the series: The explosions and promised premise seen in the trailers for this OCN project (I expect OCN to have a certain verve I'd enjoy, gong into it too), and a desire to occupy my time. And not to mention recognising Park Hae-soo from "Squid Game", and Lee Hee-joon from "MOUSE" really helped edge me forward. Kim Soo-hyun / Claudia Kim was a delightful discovery, whom I recognised later to be apart of western films like "Avengers: Age of Ultron" (2015).
TOP KDRAMA FOR 2021 ON POPCORNX #18:
THE VEIL (검은태양) (Watch on VIU.com / Rated "M18" / "Restricted Content")
Seeing actor Namkoong Min buffedAF in the teasers ("Hot Stove League" felt so far away ... LOVE the versatility!), I'd thought to give one of my SK fav actor a break to catch this (after a disappointing "AWAKEN"), which led to a exposition-filled, talking-head fuelled of a well-wrought Western-trope of inter-agency spy craft, with political maneuvering and counter-maneuvers, shaken and not stirred. Lost memories and secrets-spotted-from-episodes-away spilled like sour expired milk, like how a situational scenario might explode in your face in a theatre of deception, no? Sounds like something FUN to witness ... and it all worked, at least for me.
I realized I sat thru the entirety of this series to see if I'll be surprised with any "twists" to the constant foreshadowing, but I ended up lesser for my time spent. Still had a decent watch though, as disappointed as my expectations were.
Best thing to come out of it: Actress Kim Ji-eun. And seeing her paired up again with Lee Geung-young in "Again My Life", was a delight.
Can't shit on it too much, as I'd even attempted to watch (but failed) the two-part spin-off of the series titled "Moebius: The Veil", which was focused on the backstories of Park Ha-sun, Jung Moon-sung and Jang Young-nam's characters.
CLICKABLES on POPCORNX:
- Reviewed Episode 1-2 (Spoilers Ahead)
TOP KDRAMA FOR 2021 ON POPCORNX #17:
BULGASAL: IMMORTAL SOULS (불가살) (Watch on Netflix / Rated "M18")
This series started in 2021 and ended early 2022, but I've decided to add this here, cheers.
The premise was irresistible for me: Immortal blood-scoffing mythical creature searching for his reincarnated love from 600years ago, surrounded by found family who are reincarnations of his previous family, and rediscovering his memories and betrayal from the past. What's not to like?
The trailer above held so much promise too! But perhaps this is one example of an "effective trailer" LOL ... and thank goodness the series delivered the visuals, even though the story was frustrating at times, dragged out to fulfil the episode count, IMHO.
But maybe that's what "regrets" are? An answered doubt lingering for all eternity ... and when that eternity lasts for "600 years"?
Best thing to come out of it: Seeing Actress Gong Seung-yeon in a urban role more suitable than hers in "Flower Crew: Joseon Marriage Agency" (which I adored her in ... yes I am a dawg), and the dramatically intense Lee Chang-sun (Stage name "Lee Joon " / former member of the South Korean boy band MBLAQ, whom I'll look out for if ever I start "The Silent Sea") whom essentially out acted everyone else.
CLICKABLES on POPCORNX:
- Trailer & Clips
TOP KDRAMA FOR 2021 ON POPCORNX #16:
LET ME BE YOUR KNIGHT (너의 밤이 되어줄게)
This series started in 2021 and I only managed to finish the series in early 2022, but I've decided to add this here, cheers.
The "boy band"-premise was intriguing, especially after first watching the faux-MV for fictional band "LUNA", and I decided to jump into this (instead of "Idol: The Coup" because it did not have a scene of a screeching actress delivering her emotional lines), and ended up going along with the romcom premise which delivered "heart" in between its slapstick and scenarios.
Quite a number of taboos were played out (from bullying, to a relationship with a divorcee), and cannot help but fall for Jung In-sun, and actor Lee Jun-young (who debuted as a member of U-KISS), whom most recently played against Seohyun in the Netflix film "Love and Leashes".
I have a blogpost prepped where I delved into each member of the band "Luna" too, with most of them bring in actual boy bands too ... The genesis of the lyrics for the above song sequence tho...I'm such a sucker for that LOL
TOP KDRAMA FOR 2021 ON POPCORNX #15:
HELLBOUND (지옥) (Watch on Netflix / Rated "M18")
The stakes were high. Directed by Yeon Sang-ho ("Train To Busan"), based on his own webtoon of the same name, the premise was vague in the beginning, but soon revealed in the 6-episoder Netflix series to be a commentary on religion and the supernatural. I was more indignant that whatever answers I was looking for, would have to wait til there is a "Season 2" (if there'll ever be one).
This is the only few times in my watchlife where I'd wish the season had a couple MORE episodes, so my questions could be answered...! Or maybe it's not a series where "answers" are so readily given nor provided...?
"Hellbound" gave us a "alternate" world where a cult/new religion has risen to power and prominence.
CLICKABLES on POPCORNX:
- Spoiler Review
- Final Trailer & Stills
- Character Posters
- All HELLBOUND Features on POPCORNX
TOP KDRAMA FOR 2021 ON POPCORNX #14:
HOMETOWN (홈타운) (Watch on VIU.com)
I tried multiple times to discontinue watching this kdrama. But inevitably I'd return every week, to continually shut my eyes to the jump scares, and choose to be cower under the darkened cloud of this series, until the inevitable truth of the past were revealed in over-wrought sepia hued flashbacks. And yes, there were ANSWERS too (not all, but enough to sate my busy-bodiness, cheers). Seen above is the Opening Sequence (which was pretty accurate to provide the vibe of the series), and below is a compilation of the various character spots.
The supernatural power of persuasion, the pervasiveness of a cult and it's people vying for positions of power within the cult, and the childhood friends remembering what they had forgotten, proved ultimately to be a good time had watching this 12-episoder. But know that this is not a "feel good" series. Heinous happenings along the way to the finale, in between pockets of joy and love, amidst a KDRAMA framework of both familiar and foreign concepts.
Having first watched Um Tae-Goo as a outwardly gruff gangster-with-a-heart-in "Night in Paradise ", to see him embody the terrifyingly calm "Jo Kyung-Ho", was an experience well worth the time spent, IMHO.
CLICKABLE on POPCORNX:
- My Spoiler Impressions (Ep.1-6)
TOP KDRAMA FOR 2021 ON POPCORNX #13:
MY NAME (마이 네임) (Watch on Netflix / Rated "M18")
I remembered the hype around both "Hellbound" and "My Name" before it came out, with the success of "Squid Game" upping the profile of South Korean dramas, and having bought into that hype, I am glad "My Name" lived up to the premise as far as it could.
Actress Han So-Hee emerged and embodied being the daughter of a murdered police officer, whom sided with a gangster head to find out the identity of her father's murder - whom was said to be a police - by training to eventually join the police department and becomes a mole for the drug cartel headed by said gangster. She has her very own "corridor fight"-scene FTW!
I've always enjoyed a good "revenge" (emphasis on "good"), and the promise of a female protagonist (reminding me of Park Chan-wook's 2005 "Sympathy for Lady Vengeance" was too delightfully bloody a memory for me). "My Name" was nowhere near as "clever", but what you see in the trailer is what you'll get, and what the filmmakers gave us, was a solid good watch.
She had me convinced... until the moment when she gave it all up for the guy, whom of course was killed not long after, to accelerate her killing spree. And to see Han So-Hee again in other dramas so far removed than her role in "My Name", had my respect for her game. Good fight!
CLICKABLES on POPCORNX:
- Behind The Scenes
- Introduction with Stills
- Character Posters
- MY NAME X PROWDMON
TOP KDRAMA FOR 2021 ON POPCORNX #12:
THE WITCH'S DINER (마녀식당으로 오세요) (Watch on VIU.com / Rated "PG13")
A witch runs a diner where folks' wishes of revenge are granted, after they devour the dish prepared and presented. Everything points to witches being the "bad people"... but of course the Kdrama-twist rears it's enchanting face, with morals enforced and life-lessons learnt. Plus the food preparation shots are to die for. Recommended for folks who'd enjoy this genre of fictional supernatural media, as much as I do myself.
The flavour of "injustices" tastes bittersweet.
CLICKABLE on TUNESTALKSG:
- "THE WITCH'S DINER" OST (Tracks #1-#6)
TOP KDRAMA FOR 2021 ON POPCORNX #11:
MELANCHOLIA (멜랑꼴리아) (Watch on VIU.com / Rated "PG")
I realized by midway thru the series, that I had such high hopes for this series, which featured Lim Soo-Jung in the protagonist role of maligned math teacher (I adored her in "SEARCH: WWW"), whose math genius student played by Lee Do-Hyun falls in love with her (where I'd only just relished his role in "18 AGAIN"), but that perhaps I should've tempered my exceptions, which I did, and ended up appreciating this series for what it had to show me, versus what I had hoped it would be, IMHO.
Understand I am reacting to these KDRAMAs and ranking on POPCORNX based on MY personal watch reactions, my own lens of preferences and perception, and not pretend to be for the benefit of anyone else besides serving myself... and of course for anyone else reading that'll want to read another viewer's POV - which in a way parallels the situation chronicled in this series. How and what the characters do, and how the world perceived them to have done, and how they live with that and move on with life, firmly believing in being able to prevail on their injustice.
A very convincingly evocative ways of using "flashback" sequences too. Regardless the script preferences, the actors gave their all, and that's all I can ever ask for.
And while there were tons of diversions - including the machinations of the school's headmaster and even "friends" and loved-ones around these two, made for a compelling and sometimes even uncomfortable watch, and I appreciate that. Whatever cliches it might have, the calmness of the situation eventually triumphs over adversity. And of course undying love. Ddaawww. I like it lor.
I honestly am at a bind to "recommend" this series to KDRAMA enthusiasts, beyond the genre it is labelled under, but it certainly topped this list for me personally. But fk lah, rewatching the clips now are making me tear up again ~ lol
CLICKABLES on POPCORNX:,br/> - Introduction for Melancholia (멜랑꼴리아)
- Clips for Melancholia (멜랑꼴리아)
HONORABLE MENTION:
SWEET HOME (스위트홈) (Watch on Netflix / Rated "M18")
While the series premiered in 2020 on Netflix, I'd only managed to binge the entire 10-parter by 2021. My quirk is, having a project universally rejoice for, makes me turn away from said project... unitil I am ready to be convinced myself, or be disappointed, and I am glad it was the former.
I remembered being resistant to the show and story, immediately comparing it to Western features (because that's what "everyone else" was doing online), when eventually the story worked enough to ally me of comparisons, and enjoyed it for what it chose to be.
Season 2 and 3 has since been officially announced, and I cannot wait to find out what happens next!
CLICKABLES on POPCORNX:
- Official Trailer & Poster
- Introduction with Stills
- Behind The Scenes Featurette
- From Human to Monster: The Visuals of SWEET HOME
OTHER COMPLETED WATCHES FOR KDRAMAS IN 2021:
- JIRISAN (지리산)
For all intents and purposes, this kdrama looked beautiful, and have evocative vignettes, and wonderfully realised characters, but I could not feel for it as much as I tried to, IMHO. Such a prestige kdrama too, but will fit in "#21" in this list.
- Police University (경찰수업)
I had to literally force myself to finish up the last two episodes, so I could accurately do THIS list. I was there for actor Cha Tae-hyun, and came away somewhat charmed by Krystal Jung's beauty. That's it. Moving along...
- The Great Shaman Ga Doo Shim (우수무당가두심)
1. "Shaman" versus "Evil Spirits" - Tick! 2. (Kim Sae-Ron) as a teenage spirit buster who can see spirits = Tick! 3. 12 Episoder KakaoTV with constant repeated openings for each episode = Tick! 4. Shallow script and dubious direction = Tick.
YET TO BEGIN WATCH & DOUBT I WILL START (*Maybe):
- The Silent Sea (고요의 바다)*
- SNOWDROP (설강화)*
- BAD AND CRAZY (邪恶与疯狂)
- IDOL: The Coup (아이돌 : 더 쿠데타)
- Dr Brain*
- Kingdom: Ashin of the North**
DISCLAIMER: All KDRAMAS listed here watched with original Audio (in South Korean language) and English subtitles. Not all titles were watched via "official" streams (linked above). There are a few more titles I have since disregarded, which you can still view via this link on POPCORNX, cheers.










Comments
Post a Comment